February 2018 Board Minutes

NWDBA Board meeting notes Feburary 6, 2018

Attendees:  Mark Salser, Tim Ade, Matt Barclay, Joe Canfield, Jim Black, Eli Ocheltree, Teresa Jorgenson, Bear, Mike Kossian, Cory Marchand, Mary Oosterhof, Dave Pehling

Action Items Summary:

Date

Who

10/3

Other speakers for possible 2018 event?

All

10/3

Ensure information on how to get bees is available at January/February club meeting

Eli

10/3

Contact Sarah Steever re: website

Jim B

10/3

Get prices for other fundraising items

Tim A

02/6

Track club membership numbers

Mary O.

02/6

Club insurance?

Mark

02/6

Table protection sticky speaker props

?

02/6

Outreach props

Eli

02/6

Swarm List

Mat

02/6

Past newsletters on web

Mat

02/6

Meeting speakers

All

Agenda items:

Last meeting minutes approval:  unanimous

Treasurer’s report and membership numbers

Mary reported.  Total club funds = $10,149.64.

68 paid members so far.

Board approved moving $5000 to savings.

2)   Budget

Mark handed out a proposed budget.  Discussion and suggestions followed.  One point was about insurance.  Mark said it should be a WASBA issue and will check with Larry and WASBA president.  Mary says we should do an audit at some point

Budget is at the bottom.

3)  WASBA

No report.  Does not seem to be a lot going on.

Mark said that we seem to have forgotten to send in our $1/member last year.  Discussion.  Mark moved we send in the money for last year’s members.  Seconded and passed.  Looking forward to an update next meeting.

4.  Snoho Bee Co. package bees for members

Teresa J. and Dave P. will take orders at the February meeting.  Italian 3 lb. Cash or check.  Mark made a form for taking the orders.

5.  Programs/Speakers

Jim B. said we are good through May.  February will be about comb honey.  March will be “Spring Bees”.

July is open.  Jim suggested we have a panel discussion about extracting methods.  August might be good for a speaker or panel on Fall Preparation.  Mark suggested Tim Hyatt might be an option.

Mark suggested we find speakers for January and February 2019.

We need a balance of research and practical.  January would be a good month for an academic talk.  Might be time for another “top bar” program too.  Jim B. will check for a speaker.

Dave will check with Whatcom beekeeper about a possible program.

Discussion about bringing speakers in from farther away…an expense for the speaker.  Mark suggested we give the speaker committee flexibility to compensate those speakers.  Approved.

6.  Technology committee report

Matt contacted Sarah and will meet to discuss going forward with our website.

Discussion as to whether to have newsletters on the web.  Newsletters are a perk of membership.  Discussion.  Decided to have a delay of one month for a web edition of the newsletter.

7.  Swarm List

Mat B. says sign-up to be on the list will be February and March.  Members who have kept bees for at least 2 years are eligible.  Mark will announce at the meeting.

8.  Outreach

Eli O. said Pauline will have some sort of log and handed out a list of needed items.  A form will be made for requests for speakers.

Discussion about how many requests we get and how much should we invest.

A “canned” PPT may not be good… maybe just have club images so a speaker can make a personal presentation.  Mark will ask members at the meeting about donating images.

Mark clarified that the idea is to have a “take out” box so a speaker can just take it for a presentation.  Eli handed out a list of possible items and asked if we should have two supplied boxes.

A couple items suggested for the box included “teaching frames”, 5-frame observation hive (Cory said he had one he would donate).

We need to keep in mind all the items need to fit in a single “Tuff Box”.  We can always add items as needed.

9.  Apprentice Class

Mark said there were 18 signed up. The class is now 3 days so Mark will update the PPT.

10.  Fund Raising

Tim A.  We still have mugs but need more t-shirts.

11.  Newsletter Ads

Ads are now $5/month for business card size.  Discussion on larger ads.  Double size will $10.  Tim said that would be $50/month for full page ad.  Approved.

Mark said advertisers should contact Debbie and she can direct them to Mary for payment.

12. New Beekeepers

Tabled


13.  Bee-friendly Exterminators identified:  Tabled.

11.  Bees & Queens for 2018

Eli will put together a new list updated from last year’s.

13.  Newsletter – Matt suggested doing a blog and Jim B. would like to include web links.  Jim and Matt will work on it.

2) Extractors and other club needs.

Tabled.

Committees with current leads listed:

Programs Committee (arrange speakers for club meetings and special engagements) – Jim Black

Jeff Thompson

Mark Salser

Matt Barclay

(the tall guy with ~30 hives)

Fair Committee (deals with logistics of the booths at the Evergreen State Fair) – Teresa Jorgenson

Tim Ade

Julia Youngs (Teresa – I think this is who you mentioned)

Teaching Committee (arranges journeyman study group and apprentice classes) -Larry Brainard

Joe Canfield

Mark Salser

Dave Pehling

Technology Committee (deals with Webpage improvements, online payments) – Matt Barclay

Sarah Steever

Sharon Holt

Cory Marchand

Fund Raising/sales Committee (deals with logistics of things like T-shirts, mugs, the calendar) – Tim Ade

Mary Oosterhof

Mentoring Committee – Joe Canfield

Wanda Booth

Mark Salser

Larry Brainard

Summer Picnic/ Winter Potluck Committee – Mark Salser

Dave Pehling

Theresa Canfield

Extractor Rentals – Jim Oosterhof

Beelines (publishes BeeLines) – Debbie Ade

Outreach Coordinator – Pauline Marshall

Proposed 2018 Budget

Income

2017 actual income

2018 budget

Mugs (we have 36 left)

910.00$

300.00$

T-Shirts (net profit)

287.00$

200.00$

Renewal Membership (1)

1,160.00$

1,450.00$

New Memberships (1)

1,575.00$

2,000.00$

Extractor – Members

184.00$

200.00$

Classified Ads

60.00$

100.00$

Apprentice Class (net is ~$75 per non-member student)(2)

1,000.00$

1,100.00$

Amazon Smile

149.43$

150.00$

TOTAL:

5,325.43$

5,500.00$

Expense

2017 actual expense

2018 budget

Printing costs [this category was not broken out in previous years]

250.00$

Office Supplies/Equipment (3)

477.62$

150.00$

Summer Picnic

367.77$

400.00$

Evergreen State Fair (4)

504.05$

350.00$

License Fee

10.00$

10.00$

UPS – PO Box

193.50$

200.00$

Luthern Church

800.00$

800.00$

Speaker Expenses

602.00$

1,300.00$

WSU support

800.00$

800.00$

Outreach materials

-$

500.00$

WASBA club membership

-$

170.00$

Extracting Equipment repairs/upgrades

-$

100.00$

Website Costs

-$

600.00$

Holiday Potluck Supplies

124.95$

130.00$

TOTAL:

3,879.89$

5,760.00$

Notes:

1) increase in income from membership is based on our fee increase, not an increase in number of members. Also, New Memberships in 2017 included new memberships resulting for our apprentice class and from Snohomish Bee Company’s apprentice class.

2) for the apprentice class we decided to charge $100 and there is a $20 fee for WASBA certification and a ~$5 fee for copying the apprentice booklet

3) in 2017 the office supplies/equipment costs were $14.50 cash receipt Book, 19.88 Badge holders and lanyards, $61.70 for Plaque, $51.00 Flyers, $330.54 Microscope and supplies

4) 2017 fair expenses were Duffel Bag $53.17, Honey Sticks $200 (this is for the previous year fair, Snohomish Bee bought them for this ;year, it was $300, I gave them a donation receipt) Tent $139.96, Drinks $28.97, Pamplets $81.95

5) the 2017 number in Apprentice Class only included non-membership money, but did include the fee that then gets paid to WASBA. The 2018 number has the membership portion taken out and the $20 WASBA fee taken out